Chief Strategy Officer
Edmentum, a global leader and pioneer in online education solutions, is dedicated to making it easier for educators to individualize learning for every student through simple technology, high-quality content, and actionable data. Founded in innovation, Edmentum’s powerful learning solutions blend technology with individual teaching approaches. Edmentum is committed to being educators’ most trusted partner in creating successful student outcomes everywhere learning occurs.
Established in 2012, Edmentum™ was formed through the merger of PLATO Learning and Archipelago Learning. Headquartered in Minneapolis, with 1000 employees, Edmentum serves over 7 million students in 40,000 schools in the United States, United Kingdom, and across 20 additional countries. With a mission of helping all kids reach their full potential and a vision of positively impacting students all around the world, Edmentum keeps teachers at the center of their operations and are relentlessly focused on a strategy that balances growth with impact. Edmentum’s emphasis on great programs that are flexible, rooted in strong pedagogy, and designed to meet the needs of today’s diverse classrooms ensures that they build school around every student.
In December 2020, The Vistria Group (“Vistria”), a Chicago-based private investment firm, announced a strategic growth investment in Edmentum. Existing investors New Mountain Finance Corporation and BlackRock recapitalized their investments to partner with Vistria. The equity infusion will strengthen Edmentum’s position as a global leader in comprehensive K-Adult digital curriculum and assessments for learning and accelerates Edmentum’s opportunities for continued growth.
About The Vistria Group
The Vistria Group is a Chicago-based private investment firm focused on investing in middle-market companies in the healthcare, education, and financial services sectors. Vistria’s team is comprised of highly experienced operating partners and private equity executives with proven track records of working with management teams in building innovative, market-leading companies.
About New Mountain Finance Corporation
New Mountain Finance Corporation (Nasdaq: NMFC) is a business development company primarily focused on lending to middle-market companies in “defensive growth” industries. We aim to generate current income and capital appreciation through investments in debt securities at all levels of the capital structure.
BlackRock’s purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of September 30, 2020, the firm managed approximately $7.81 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide.
Edmentum’s newly created Corporate Strategy team acts as the central hub for strategic leadership and support for leaders across Edmentum. The team provides leadership in Business Strategy, Market Research, Strategic Finance & Analytics, and M&A. The primary objective of the Corporate Strategy Department is to bridge Edmentum’s long term vision, market position, and value creation plan (business growth drivers) in a manner that is actionable, collaborative, transparent, profitable, and scalable.
Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Strategy Officer (CSO) will shape Edmentum’s strategic direction by working directly with the executive leadership team to develop company strategy across multiple dimensions, including where to play (e.g., evaluating markets), how to succeed (e.g., build, buy, or partner), and what capabilities must be in place (e.g. metrics, people). The CSO will lead a small and nimble team and help the CEO, leadership team, and Board of Directors make important decisions in a data-informed manner. The CSO will also directly lead Edmentum’s strategic planning & execution process (under a PMO structure) that includes project management for internal strategy execution, as well as M&A integrations.
- Enhance and lead the design, implementation, and management of Edmentum’s strategic plan (ESP).
- Build and manage strategy PMO (Project Management Office) to ensure enterprise project management of corporate organic and inorganic strategic priorities
- Lead efforts on inorganic growth strategy to achieve Edmentum’s long-term vision
- Lead the team responsible for Edmentum’s strategic planning and M&A processes
- Serve as one of Edmentum’s key industry liaisons and develop an extensive network of relationships to build a strong acquisition pipeline
- Provide holistic thought partnership to Edmentum executives on important issues, such as long-term goals and strategies, capabilities and operating models, special projects, and understand challenges and stakeholder motivations.
- Work closely with CEO and CPCO (Chief People & Culture Officer) to align company objectives to operating functions (i.e. talent strategy directly aligns to business objectives).
- Provide recommendations and oversight for Edmentum’s budget and constraint process, working to ensure Edmentum’s long term financial health
- Serve as brand and education evangelist.
A future at Edmentum includes:
- Working with a talented, respected, low ego, and highly collaborative executive team
- Playing a central role in a high growth, well-funded company with strong products, a strong culture, and a strong management team
- Working in a company with a clear vision and big goals, and the ability to make your mark on how those goals are met.
- The opportunity to positively impact students and teachers all around the world
- The ability to live and work anywhere in the US
Travel will be 25-30 % in a year. Once normal travel has resumed.
Compensation will include salary, performance bonus, and equity commensurate with the individual’s experience.
The Chief strategy role requires the following experiences and skillsets:
- 10+ years in a senior corporate strategy leadership role at a private equity-owned, high growth company AND/OR experience at a top tier management consultancy combined with direct, in house implementation experience.
- At least 5 years’ experience in the education industry (at least a portion of time in K-12 market)
- History of building world class, nimble strategy teams; demonstrated ability to cross-functionally develop and lead M&A and partnership strategy and efforts.
- Experience working with C-suite leaders, investors, and direct experience advising CEOs
- Demonstrable experience in servant leadership, impact leadership, strategic communications, and change management.
- Passionate about education – it’s part of your ethos, made you who you are, you have personal life experiences that drive you to give back and move education forward
- The courage and decisiveness, to prioritize, to succeed – or to fail fast and move forward
- Proven ability to remain objective, balanced, and exercise common sense at all times
- Can demonstrate natural ability to delegate and dig in when necessary
The Knowledge Leaders search process is thorough and may include: a written assessment, multiple interviews, background and social media checks, employment and education verifications, a drug screen, and professional reference checking. After all, our mission is to transform education by recruiting the best world leaders.
Submit your resume to Alison Thompson (Alison@knowledgeleadersgroup.com) at Knowledge Leaders.
Knowledge Leaders, LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and candidates for employment. Knowledge Leaders, LLC prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.